Everyday Exposures - Do we really need to worry about "toxins"?
Toxin is defined as "a poisonous substance that is a specific product of the metabolic activities of a living organism and is usually very unstable, notably toxic when introduced into the tissues, and typically capable of inducing antibody formation" (Merriam Webster)
So we know of obvious toxins in our environment such as lead, cyanide, formaldehyde, mercury, arsenic. But there is also fluoride, phthalates, triclosan, chloride. How about aluminum, high fructose corn syrup, red dyes, yellow dyes, blue dyes... Oh, and let's not forget about pesticides, antibiotics and steroids! These are just the tip of the toxin iceberg. Anyone that says this is junk science - is well, junk at science. The body, albeit excellent at metabolizing and pushing through crap that should not be there, is being hit with literal micro poisons daily.
In other words, your everyday products can be hurting you. While I could write an essay on the above lists of bad guys, there is plenty of science-based information out there to make it clear that we need to mitigate what we are exposed to. Toxins will affect our quality of life and will create short -term issues and lead to long term problems (disease!).
Are we doomed? Don't know what to do about it?
We limit, we create a healthy immune system, we eat whole -foods, we constantly work at improving our micro-biome, we detox, we fast, we supplement, we nourish.
We seek out pure, clean, products for our body, food, house, pets, children. We work to understand and create a knowledge base to empower our choices.
Take an inventory around your house when you have a chance. How about that scented candle or glade plugin? That inexpensive perfume or nail polish, maybe the toothpaste or the endless items in your cupboards.